Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

Re: [sharechat] Hulun Clucks........

From: "Jeremy" <jeremy@electrosilk.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:20:52 +0800

Politics may seem vague to mere mortals, but it is unusual for a Minister to
say anything off-the-cuff that has not been cleared by a host of advisors
and public servants.  The normal process is the relevant senior public
servant prepares a briefing and advice.  The PPS and policy advisors distill
this a bit and the leader is then briefed on what they can and can't say.

This usually means that the interests of the public service proper are met,
and the political interests of the leader are also met.

The process only goes off the rails when a reporter asks the wrong question
at the wrong time.  I don't think it was the case this time.  It was more
likely that the collateral risk assesment about the statement was faulty and
got through two (three if you count the PM :-) ) layers of screening.

When you look back on it in a few days, you won't be able to find fault with
the statment, just the irrational reaction of a small group of people

> I cant let that one go bye.  When have politics been about
> facts, I rather thought the issue was that our first
> representative needs to be very mindful of what is
> said or indeed unsaid in troubled times.  Blaming
> the media or phase of the moon is merely bad governance
> and we shld be able to expect better.

Interested in learning more about the sharemarket and investing?  Check out
the upcoming ShareChat Investor Education Seminars - please visit
http://www.sharechat.co.nz/services/seminars/ to find out more.