Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2001

Re: [sharechat] Securenet [ASX - snx]

From: "Sproul Familly" <msproulfamily@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:12:56 +1200

John,

Yes, my interest was aroused by the previous thread, and finished up taking a small interest. in SNX.

For what it's worth:

1.  They appear to be a smart bunch of cookies running a lean, mean operation, funding most of their R & D out of cash flow.  They did  however get a $2.6 million dollar R & D grant out of the Aust. government ( even with $116 million cash in the bank!).

2.  They are concentrating on the Asian market , and M.D. Geoff Ross moved to Hongkong with several of their top guys. They have formed some alliances with large corporations including Hongkong Shanghai Bank and others , who are putting the capital  into the Joint  Ventures, another cash-saving benefit.  It is stated that there are a "bunch of big projects in the pipeline."

3. If you have not read it , the best insight is in the Corporate File interview with Mr. Ross, on the website at

http://securenet.com.au/   or on the SNX company news on Stocknessmonster

4.  I guess Securenet could be considered to be doing well , considering the pounding taken by tech-type stocks  recently.  In the interview, Ross says that they will probably be able to pick up some "quality assets at bargain basement prices" .  So they are intending to spend a fair bit of the $116 million, it seems.

In conclusion, I would say that all tech stocks are speculative, but that this may just be one of the better ones.

The biggest problem I have with companies like this is that they hardly ever are able to put dollar values to the worth of the contracts they win.  For example , they have announced  a deal with the Hongkong Jockey Club, but who knows what the revenue stream will be - maybe it's partly based on a transaction fee and even SNX don't know??????

SNX is certainly a long term investment, and don't expect any dividends for a few years.  And the chart trendline has been DOWN for a while, although it appears to be flattening now. So there may be opportunities to pick up some SNX under today's price. The were down around $1.18 August 17, before their Annual report sparked some interest.

For myself, I will be keeping an eye on the $116 mill.cash over the next twelve months or so to see what acquisitions they make, and if any of the "bunch of projects" come to fruition.

All the best,
Dave

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Sproul;David
FN:David Sproul
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:dsproul@corsairmarine.com
REV:20010830T091256Z
END:VCARD

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] RBC buyback H David