Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2001

Re: [sharechat] SKC- Another good result!

From: "Ben Dutton" <bendutton@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:15:31 +1000

Hi John,

Just thought I'd tap out a quick answer to your statement:

"Also I still fail to see how splitting can improve liquidity"

New Zealand retail investors have traditionally had a fear of buying
"pricey" shares - anything over $10 is seen as "expensive" (the logic is of
course flawed).

To increase liquidity in a share (liquidity = a large number of buyers and
sellers) a company must increase its shareholder base (illiquid shares tend
to be companies with a few large shareholders that own most of the stock).

So, the situation with Sky City at the moment is that some NZ investors
regard the company as being "expensive" (even though its not as such) and
thus may not buy the shares.  If a share split was to occurr the company may
become more attractive to smaller investors because of the lower price, and
therefore the shareholder base may increase with a resulting increase in
liquidity.

Best Regards

Ben Dutton