Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2001

Re: Re: [sharechat] Ebet: Time for a punt? / Ethical Investing

From: "Ben Dutton" <bendutton@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:13:19 +1000

An interesting question posed by John, I don't know if your reply Chris
really fully answers him.

John has asked:

Is investing in the sharemarket equivalent to gambling?

The others have said:

Investing in gambling stocks is immoral because it promotes gambling.

Now, the second statement is true if gambling is immoral.

But then, if investing in the sharemarket *is* equivalent to gambling, then
it follows that investing in the sharemarket is immoral.

So then, to the investors who will not invest in gambling stocks - do you
believe that investing in the sharemarket is a form of gambling?  If not,
then you can still say that you will not invest in gambling stocks on moral
grounds.  However, if investing in the sharemarket *is* a form of gambling
then you have no moral grounds to invest in other stocks on the sharemarket
but not in Sky City.

Let me put it this way:

If investing in the sharemarket = gambling, and gambling = immorality, then
investing in the sharemarket = immorality.

Of course, if you do not believe gambling is immoral then this whole
conversation will be irrelevant to you.

So lets not focus on whether gambling *is* immoral or not, lets instead
focus on the question: is investing in the sharemarket gambling?

Throwing the cat amongst the pigeons?  Maybe we should call in a
philosopher...;-)

Best Regards

Ben Dutton