Re: [sharechat] SUB - non-renounceable rights issue

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 14:16:15 +0000

Hi Jeff,

> re SUB announcement of rights issue, Michael Phillips wrote:
> As I understand it, NCM rules are going
> to require the rights to be issued at an average of the last 20 days
> trading.  This will move the issue price from 30c per share closer
> toward 40c per share.
>
> I don't understand what effect this will have on the market price.

Don't you?

> With the extra shares taken up under a rights issue, won't that
> dilute the total issue and the market should react accordingly with
> a lower market price?

Yes, sounds logical.

> Also what advantage would there be for a holder to buy extra shares
> through the rights issue when they are available on the market for
> roughly the same price ?

None -to you.   Maybe if the issue is underwritten (which I'm sure it
must be) it is a way for the underwriters to buy into the company at
a better price than existing shareholders, before the whole
rights issue matter blew up?  And because the issue is non
renouncable the existing shareholders cannot financially benefit from
the manoeuvres?

> I'm confused about this one and hope someone could please answer my
> questions!?

You are too modest Jeff.   I think you actually see exactly what is
happening here.   No confusion.   Everyone has the right to
draw their own conclusions on the facts as published.  Perhaps yours
might be that you, along with the existing shareholders just got
shafted?   Have a nice day.  SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Dogs have big tongues, so you can bet they don't
bite them by accident"