Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [sharechat] MMD - Micromedical Industries Limited - Artificial heart / VentrAssist

From: "G Stolwyk" <stolwyk@wave.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 13:35:20 +1200

Jonathan,

I suggest you refer to my posts of April 27 and May 11, 2001.

There are two related risks encountered by a patient wearing any device:

1. The number of parts and the corresponding longevity of the device.

The device from MMD has only one moving part and therefore is very long lasting. It is a revolutionary device and they know it!

2. The degree of destruction of blood platelets and the consequential creation of blood clots. As far as I know, this is a worry for surgeons.

You could say that as a rule, the more moving internal parts a device has, the greater the chance that this destruction increases.

As the MMD device has only one moving part -  which has been refined since, the impeller - MMD is now getting at a stage where this effect " is difficult to measure " in their latest trials.

These are two very big positives in this exacting and exciting device!

Added to that is the relative small size of the artificial heart and you will understand that many patients are awaiting the succesful completion of any human trials!

Further info. can be obtained from:< www.micromed.com.au >

The share price has increased from 49 to 53 cents during the last week acompanied with solid turnovers. I think that investors are buying and putting these " in the bottom drawer ".

They are prepared to sit it out pending any announcement on conducting human trials. MMD says that they hope  to start these later this year.

We don't know when the actual announcement will be made. They will, I think, in the meantime complete those tasks necessary to minimize the risks " in their final stages of testing " before the human trials start.

There ought to be a much greater success in their predicting of the outcome as it is a device and not a medicine we are talking about.

Investors take the view that such an important announcement will immediately raise share prices and hence " don't want to be caught out " by not having any shares at that time.

Those are my opinions,

Gerry
Holds MMD

Disclaimer. Readers are not asked to buy, hold or sell any shares in MMD. To do so will be entirely at their own risk.