Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2001

Re: Re: [sharechat] MMD - Micromedical Industries Limited - Artificial heart / VentrAssist

From: "G Stolwyk" <stolwyk@wave.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:33:06 +1200

Thanks, Peter,

There are a few items to add to my article of April 26, 2001:

The Australian Government considers this research as one of their prestige projects and much of the work is being subsidised.

In Sept. 2000, I enquired about a " new " device developed by a competitor. However, MMD believed that it was a " Jarvik " assist device using bearing technology similar to that of of the DeBakey and Nimbus generation.

MMD believed that this type of pump will be superseded by devices which will have contactless bearings, as MMD has.

To recap:
An artificial heart must have two objectives:
First and foremost, there must be minimal damage to the blood platelets.

According to MMD, through refinements- mainly to the impeller- the blood damage is so low as to be almost unmeasurable.

And this is because the device has only one moving part !! Hence, the device, unlike some others, lasts for years!

I hope that it will be in commercial use and yes, I do hope that it will be listed on the Nasdaq at some stage!

Acknowledgement: The CEO of MMD, Dr. John Woodard, has given me some technical advice.

Their web site : < www.micromed.com.au >

Gerry
Holds MMD

Disclaimer. Readers are not asked to buy, hold or sell shares.To do so will be entirely at their own risk. The contents of this email are my opinions. For the record: When the article of April 26, was written, MMD price was 50 cents.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] mmd G Stolwyk