Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2001

[sharechat] StockHouse Australia: Aussie view on the airline sector

From: daniel <daniel.st@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:52:48 +1200

An aussie view on AIR NZ, and airline sector.

http://www.sTOCKhouse.com.au/shfn/apr01/042301_ansett.asp

For your investment links:
http://productisland.homestead.com

Title: StockHouse Australia -- SHfn --
StockHouse International: Canada Hong Kong Japan Singapore United Kingdom United States
  Company Search:
Symbol
Name
 for  on ASX NASDAQ NYSE OTC:BB AMEX SEHK hk. LSE l. TSE t. CDNX v. Montreal m. SGX si. KLSE kl. All
Home    My Portfolio    SHfn    BullBoards    Company Announcements    MediaScan    The Markets       Feedback    Help
donnie8
Logout

   - Site Map - - Home - About Us - Analyst     Rankings - Analyst Views - Aussie Links - Brokerage Reports - BullBoards - Company Profiles - Company     Announcements - Company Search - Corporate Services - Float News - Foreign Exchange - Market Calendar - MediaScan - Member     Preferences - My Portfolio - SHfn - The Markets

Free StockHouse Membership!
SHfn Features Analyst Views
Today   |   Features Archive   |   Interviews   |   @ The Bell
Features
Airlines
Is The Airline Sector Approaching A Nosedive?

By Catherine Yeung - Finance Journalist
Monday, April 23, 2001 (2:30pm EST)

The past couple of weeks have been nothing short of a nightmare for Air New Zealand [X.AIZ]. Factors including the company's notably weak balance sheet, the recent grounding of some of its subsidiary's fleet, and negative market sentiment towards the transportation sector have all contributed towards its severely damaged brand name. Although the airline has gone into damage control - such as releasing a television commercial sentimentally explaining and apologising for Ansett's problems - market experts believe Air New Zealand will struggle to gain investor support in the near future.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority's (CASA) decision to ground some of Ansett's 767's prior to Easter caused absolute turmoil for Ansett and its parent company. In a tough environment where it is difficult to elevate earnings, the airline group faces restructuring and plane maintenance costs. Added to these woes would be the emerging realisation that the market holds little confidence that the company will report strong financial results. Analysts have already downgraded, Salomon Smith Barney has re-rated Air New Zealand's NPAT (net profits after tax) estimation by $NZ91.8 million to $NZ184 million for 2002.

"The combined group has a very poor profit outlook. It has staggering commitments in terms of its existing finance arrangements.," said Ben Sandilands, an aviation writer. "People have been taken aback by the steep slope the company will have to climb in order to get itself back to some sort of situation where it would be attractive for investors."

The market is not only wary of supporting Air New Zealand but also the airline industry as a whole. Hans Kunnen, Head of Investment Markets Research at Colonial First State told StockHouse Australia: "You may take a counter-cyclical view and say things can't get any worse and earnings have got to grow from here, but I'm not sure that I'd be persuaded by that argument." Sandilands agreed with Kunnen's view. "I'd put my money into the airport sector and some of the airline services sectors but you would have to be really brave to invest in the actual core business of flying passengers," he added.

Intense competition and strict regulation have made the Australian airline industry intrinsically volatile. Further, the entrance of Virgin Blue and Impulse into our domestic skies has led to fare cutting and price wars, which is highly risky for the airlines as the lower the prices go, the more passengers will become accustomed to cheaper fares.

Interestingly, the sector is a good barometer of economic activity as airline yields (including fares and actual bookings) reflect in advance what will occur in the general economy. "When you see airline bookings go down, it normally means the economy is in trouble. What has been different this time, is that bookings have been driven artificially higher by extremely low prices in the marketplace. So, we've had phenomenal growth on competitive routes but it hasn't really reflected the underlying state of the economy. The economy is going one way and airline operating costs are going the same way, which is south, but passengers are making hay while the sun shines and traveling more and more," said Sandilands.

While airfare prices continue to drop, Qantas [X.QAN] still boasts being the market leader. And if you were in Ansett's shoes, wouldn't you just loathe them? Time after time the flying kangaroo has stolen the limelight from its competitor - the worst incident being when Qantas implemented an ambush-marketing ploy during the Sydney Olympic Games and people thought it was the official airline sponsor when in fact Ansett was.

"In fact, it is difficult to think of a situation where Qantas won't be the dominant player in the Australian market in the medium-term, they'll hold at least a 50 percent market share," Sandilands added.

On the back of Ansett's misfortunes, investors have not rushed out to buy Qantas shares - perhaps because of the weakness of the sector. "Qantas was a good buy at $A2.45 but at these levels you might see it come off as Ansett gets its act together. Also, I don't think there is a lot of money in the sector anymore," said a Sydney-based stockbroker.

On Monday Air New Zealand shares were trading 2c down at $A1.27 while stock in Qantas was slightly up at $A2.85.

StockHouse Australia Readers Respond

What do you think? Do you have an insight or opinion you want to share?

Email: LettersToTheEditor@stockhouse.com.au

Letters expressing a solid and thoughtful analysis will be considered for publication. Include your full name and phone number because we will want to contact you prior to publication. StockHouse Australia reserves the right to edit for context, clarity, and length.

© 2001 StockHouse Media Corp.
Recent SHfn Articles
  Airlines: Is The Airline Sector Approaching A Nosedive?

  The MOB Sheet: Today's News, Highlights and Gossip

  The Punter Report: Daily Market Report and Company Spotlight on Sausage Software Limited

  Information Technology: Analysts Still Believe Powerlan Is A Success Story

  Trading and Investment: Cyclical Stocks Champing At The Bit On News Of (Yet Another) Rate Cut

Canada Canada Hong Kong Hong Kong Japan Japan Singapore Singapore United Kingdom UK United States USA Investment.com
Home    My Portfolio    SHfn    BullBoards    Company Announcements    MediaScan    The Markets       Feedback    Help
Copyright 2001 StockHouse Media Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer / Terms of Use  -  Privacy Policy
Charts provided by Prophet Finance. Prophet user agreement applies.
North American quotes provided by NAQ.
Quotes Provided by S&P Comstock

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: Re: [sharechat] Dissecting the postings. mark walley