Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2001

Re: [sharechat] Calculating growth rates

From: "John H T Wilkinson" <jhtw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:33:58 +1200

Title: Calculating growth rates
Hi David,

I have my portfolio set up on a spreadsheet and apply the XIRR function to after tax data to show me the "Tax Paid Annual Rate of Return" on each of my investments.

You can hold a share, or any investment for that matter, and it can show a great "absolute" return (expressed as a % of the cost) on what it cost you - that can be misleading though.

The XIRR function uses "Time Value of Money" principles and gives you a figure that can be used to rate any investment against others.

Cheers,
JHTW