Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2001

[sharechat] My opinion

From: "Steven Tong" <soarer1@voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:55:27 +1200

I have  read with interest share chatters postings over the last six months or so.  Whilst I  appreciate many are new to the share market, should the point not be made that direct share investing  is not for the beginner nor the person who cannot dedicate large amounts of time and effort.

It still amazes me that people are     asking questions about AQL etc, surely there are hundreds if not thousands of  better companies  in the various worldwide markets !!

World stock markets are going lower that is a certainty, corporate profits drive share prices and they are going lower ( alot lower )
Nortel the first of many for q1 and q2

The NZ market may not have as far to fall, but the overall market is determined by Wall Street. Cutting interest rates by a couple of  hundred basis points is not going to get the average punter to buy a new laptop ( IN THE SHORT TERM ANYWAY )

My advise would be to sit on the sidelines and  wait and see what happens, the markets are way to volatile for the experts ( who get it wrong all the time ) let alone Joe Punter who is thinking about buying 1000 AQL !!

Put your money in the bank and wait and see what happens, if your in   for the long term, wait for the right trade   it may take  6 months or a year, so be it, it will come along if your patient enough !!

Would also suggest that new investors put simple trading techniques like stops and trailing stops in place, hard to believe how many share  chatters have let their stocks fall 20/30/40/50%. These companies are never likely to recover these losses contrary to what your broker may be telling you.

Hope the above is taken the right way and some people   get something out of it.

 Steve

DISC   Holding  85 %   cash
                       15 %   US biotec stocks