Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2000

Re: [sharechat] FW: US Thanksgiving sales were hot

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 22:10:27 +1300

thanks Ben, I'm rather interested in what economic organisation changes
look as if they will be successful and which ones don't. I would think that
the new Internet sites for B2B sales which cut out the middlemen
for products that have some quality and delivery assurance will be goers -
but do we have any in NZ which can be invested in....
whereas the retail Internet sellers are proving more and more unsuccessful
because at the end of the day household consumers, particularly women,
enjoy shopping; touching feeling, looking at the merchandise, getting
instant
delivery and being very social at the same time.
I wonder to what extent the mail order operations now sell by Internet
compared
to catalogue? We still get catalogue's through the mail and its easier
paging
through and studying those than it is flogging through the Internet. Anyone
know
what the effect on Sears Roebuck type sellers has been in the US, NZ &?
There was an interesting comment that the 'bricks and mortar' businesses
like
Farmers, the Warehouse, Woolworths had also been bleeding red ink for their
Internet sales ops but were managing to conceal it in their overall
operations.
Do they set up their ops as say one central NZ specialty unit or is it done

branch by branch at slack times when the customers aren't pouring in?
The earlier quote made on Sharechat was that Yahoo was still powering
ahead in % increase (well for Thanksgiving anyway) in its Internet sales
but what are they actually selling in tangible goods terms? Or is it all
advertising and search fees?

----------
> From: Ben Dutton <bendutton@sharechat.co.nz>
> To: sharechat@sharechat.co.nz
> Subject: Re: [sharechat] FW: US Thanksgiving sales were hot
> Date: Wednesday, 29 November 2000 7:18
>
> Hugh - I've looked around, and it seems that Amazon, unlike some other
U.S.
> retailers, have not released their Thanksgiving sales figures.  However,
> this report from Reuters seems to indicate that not all is smooth sailing
at
> the Internet bellwether:
>

> 11-28-00 11:38:56 AM Amazon trades lower after analysts advise caution
>
>     LOS ANGELES, Nov 28 (Reuters) - Shares of Internet retailer
> Amazon.com (AMZN.O) slipped on Tuesday after at least three
> Wall Street analysts put out cautious reports on the company.
>     Amazon shares were down about 8.5 percent, or $2-3/8 to
> $25-5/8 in morning trading on Nasdaq on brisk trading volume of
> nearly 6 million shares. Shares of the Seattle-based company
> have slipped steadily from their highs of $113 in December of
> last year, amid jitters over its cash position.
>     Amazon's stock also lost ground on Monday, as analysts
> raised questions over its Thanksgiving weekend sales and a
> 30-minute outage on its Web site Friday, typically one of the
> busiest shopping days of the year. Amazon said the outage was
> not related to the spike in holiday traffic.
>     Brokerage SG Cowen said fourth quarter sales data so far
> have not been clear. It cited a more difficult environment for
> consumer disposable income, less online advertising spending
> and greater competition from traditional retailers, Wal-Mart
> Stores Inc. (WMT.N) and Target Corp. (TGT.N).
>     The last three months of the year are critical for Amazon, and
> other retailers, due to the bulk of sales occurring during the
> holiday season.
>     Tom Courtney, analyst with Banc of America Securities,
> issued a report saying he believed Amazon's growth rate would
> slow considerably in 2001.
>     "We maintain our rating of Market Performer and would avoid
> the stock. Although it may have one last run going into the
> holiday period, we believe that Amazon has several red flags
> that demand investor attention," he said.
>     Meanwhile, Dain Rauscher Wessels in a report offered a more
> positive outlook and raised its fourth quarter sales estimates to
> $1.04 billion from $989 million. It kept its buy rating and a $50
> price target, but advised that high shipping costs could be a
> concern for Amazon.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Benjamin Dutton

Make
> no
> > > mistake about this!!
> > >

> > > The US shopping season gets underway at Thanksgiving.  This data is
> > closely
> > > analysed as it is the 8th largest shopping day of the year.  All
> > indications
> > > are that shopping was brisk and above expectations; sales value up
4.6%
> > on
> > > last year (expectations were for a 4% rise).  However, price
incentive
> > were
> > > seen to be required to draw crowds.  It is estimated that 67 million
> > people
> > > headed to shopping malls.
> > >
> > > Wal-Mart had its best day ever, sales at Yahoo (for those that could
not
> > > stand the crowds) doubled last years. Visa processed 3032
transactions
> > per
> > > second (10,915200 in the hour) in the peak shopping hour of 2pm to
3pm,
> > 13%
> > > higher than last year.
> > >
> > > So, the US consumer has not given up yet but is not as aggressive as
> > he/she
> > > was last year when sales were 6.2% higher than the previous year.
> > >
> > > This data should support US equity prices, particularly those of
> > retailers
> > > and Etailers.

> > > This e-mail message has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal

> --
> >
> > > http://www.sharechat.co.nz/          New Zealand's home for market
> > investors
> > > http://www.netbroker.co.nz/        Trade on Credit, Low Brokerage.
Join
> > now.

> --
> >
> > > To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at
> > > http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.shtml.

> --
> > http://www.sharechat.co.nz/          New Zealand's home for market
> investors
> > http://www.netbroker.co.nz/        Trade on Credit, Low Brokerage. Join
> now.

> --
> > To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at
> > http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.shtml.

> http://www.sharechat.co.nz/          New Zealand's home for market
investors
> http://www.netbroker.co.nz/        Trade on Credit, Low Brokerage. Join
now.

> http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.shtml.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] weezil not important