Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2000

Re: [sharechat] Sno white is still doing the rounds

From: "Jeremy" <jeremy@electrosilk.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:21:00 +0800

> The virus isn't coming through the sharechat list itself - we now filter
> such things out, and our filters are so stringent they actually blocked
> your message as well.  I have to manually approve such messages before
they
> get sent on (you can see I made a mistake when I did this, and my
signature
> got attached to your message as well).

The virus has been sent to me from someone on this list, but not through the
list.  I think the virus waits for received messages and replies to the
message originator, not the sharechat mailing list address.  In this way, if
you contribute to the list you will get a virus shortly after, and if you
just lurk, you won't get one.

As I posted before, it is someone who uses xtra.co.nz who is doing the
infecting, and probably they have never even contributed to the list, they
just read it.  Of course, there may be more than one person infected, so
people using other ISP's should check as well.

jeremy