Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2000

Re: [sharechat] Sno white is still doing the rounds

From: Will Bryant <will@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:00:25 +1300

>I'm getting one of these posted to me every couple of days,
>there seems to be a reasonable probability that this problem
>is in some way associated with sharechat.
The way that the worm works is that it sits on an infected computer and
monitors the emails that are being sent from that computer, and it sends
itself to the addresses that those real emails are being sent to.  Thus I
would say you will most likely be receiving it from someone who has been in
touch with you personally.  The virus descriptions aren't clear whether it
also monitors incoming mails.

The virus isn't coming through the sharechat list itself - we now filter
such things out, and our filters are so stringent they actually blocked
your message as well.  I have to manually approve such messages before they
get sent on (you can see I made a mistake when I did this, and my signature
got attached to your message as well).

Will Bryant, will@core-dev.co.nz                    cell +64 21 655 443
http://www.core-dev.co.nz/    Personal: http://www.core-dev.co.nz/will/
ShareChat Ltd. technical manager            http://www.sharechat.co.nz/
[PGP 0x96A7F40A, FP 827F A2A9 C718 106D 8F80  E16E A244 D5F2 96A7 F40A]