Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2000

Re: [sharechat] Ports

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 19:01:36 +1300

There was a decision earlier this year not to go ahead with the Westport
jetty
and also the barging from Westport has closed down so that threat to
Lyttelton seems to be averted.
Great to see people doing fundamental analysis for themselves in
'unfashionable'
sectors with a view to sensible investment instead of going overboard on
Flying Pig, Aquaria, and the like.

cheers,
Hugh
----------
> From: Dick O Connor <problast@altavista.com>
> To: sharechat@sharechat.co.nz
> Subject: [sharechat] Ports
> Date: Thursday, 26 October 2000 11:20
>
> Thanks to those who responded yesterday to my query for information on
ports.
> Marilyn: I was interested in your reference to containers, 1st, 2nd, and
3rd. I knew containers were big at POA, but POT had often stressed the
importance of logs out to them. Are containers important to all ports or is
there some variation? And, by way of interest, how did you come by your
belief in containers?
> Warner: Interesting to see the figures set out like you did. LPC is a bit
of an enigma isn't it - the lowest PE and the highest price to NTA.I'm
tempted to make this my second choice after POA.
> I'm still hoping that some more serious analysis might come in on this
subject. Our ports are obviously going to be with us for a long time and
one hopes they won't end up like so many other NZ assets and get sold off
to buyers in other countries.
> They will probably continue to be important investments and the object of
this exercise is to try to figure out which are offering the best current
returns and which have the best future prospects. The three most important
figures to me are EPS, dividends, and return on shareholder funds.
> I have these figures for the 2000 year from POA which are  32.3c   18c
and  18%. Can anyone help with the figures for the other listed ports (I
can get the prior years from the Investment Year Books) and any comments?

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] Ports tennyson@caverock.net.nz