Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

Re: [sharechat] Student loans and investing from a young point of view.

From: jesse <johne777@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 18:04:44 +1200

Hi Daniel
you gotta live off that $80-100k over 4 years though right, so unless
you want to saty with Mum and Dad and are paying $10 bucks a week board,
youll be lucky to save, maybe, 1/3, or if your a real hermit, 1/2. Make
it an 1/8th if the fairer sex are involved!!
I think your other point is what counts....you have to know what you
want to do career wise before taking on the debt.
I left school when I was 15 and stupid. I got lucky financially. My
friends took the uni path, but knew exactly what the wanted. They are
all professionals now and although no better off than me, they got there
by the safer route. I needed luck and took more risk on. I ended up
doing a degree later anyway, to get on at work.
Businesses take on debt hoping profits exceed the cost of the debt; a
trader operates a margin account for the same reason; a student loan can
be used the same way. Youve mentioned the costs of a qualifiaction, what
about the benefits you dont see? Maybe you think that job you got had
nothing to do with your 2 years study. Youd be surprised where it might
lead. That $15k could turn out to be a better investment than you think.

see ya

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: Re: [sharechat] Student loans and investing from a young point of view. jesse