Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

Re: Re: [sharechat] Borrowed $$....Philip-bah humbug

From: Roy <baldman@internet-auditor.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:46:06 +1200

Presume this is the wisdom of age.
A young person however has to have a different view (as you obviously did Tony when you took out your mortgage!)
That view has to be based on a different risk reward curve.
Ie start with not much & borrow some more to get started.

It always amuses me when people say that borrowing money to invest in the sharemarket is akin to sleeping with the devil!
Yet many of these same people are happy to have a reasonably large mortgage on their house!

Why do they think that investing in shares (which produce an income via dividends) and have the potential for capital growth is so bad on borrowed money?

What do you mean Tony - they will end up not being able to pay it back. :(:(
Consider those with a large mortgage and
interest rates go up
Market value goes down
The mortgage payer loses their job?

As with all things moderation is a blessing. Borrow in moderation and count your blessings.

Agree 100% Tony. Very sound advice.

Regards
Brian