Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

Re: [sharechat] Student loans

From: "Philip Robinson" <robph639@student.otago.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:49:52 +1200

Don't fool yourself Mr Haddon if you had an interest free loan that you were going to pay back I bet you would buy shares with it. I for one have no problem with my conscience buying shares because I know that (a) I will be paying it back, and (b) I know that I am going to work my guts out for the failing health system when the time comes.

And to Mr Reid, what do you mean:"medical grad owing $100,000 who knows they can pay it off but still thinks the community owes him/her a lifestyle befitting their future status".
Are you saying that doctors think that they are owed something by the community? hey work an honest day and take home an honest wage commensurate with the years (8-13) that they spend training to provide the service that they do.

What is the problem using out loans for shares, is just like any other contract that someone signs, (and we do sign a contract), it is just this one is with the government and if I have more than I need to then using it for shares does not place in in a different position from someone who uses leveraged equities from OM or the like.

My apologies to those who feel this is an inappropriate forum for this but as with the Genesis animal testing comments I feel that it cannot be left with such a inaccurate picture of the situation.

Roll on with the share chat
Phil