Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2000

Re: Re: [sharechat] Buying High ?

From: Brian Gale <brigale@i4free.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 21:59:17 +1200

Hi Warner

I think you have hit the key - when is a trend not a trend ?

If we take TEL as an example.  Back in June, after a steep fall from a high
of nearly $10.00 the price seemed to hit a resistance at around 7.60 and
there was an uptrend for three days up to $8. If the ' buying on a high
'  theory had been followed the buyer would have had to get out quickly
because it was not a continuing trend only a spike,  and there was fall off
to $7. Two further spikes followed again with a similar aftermath with the
price falling away to $6.50. Now we have a rise again, the question is will
it be the start of an upward trend or another spike. So if the theory is to
work it obviously has to be used in conjunction with the extraneous factors
prevailing which in the case of TEL have tended to be negative.

However if we take another example i.e. GPG the theory would have worked
well as it was a continuing upward trend with a steep lift.  But in this
case the extraneous factors were positive.

The difficulty, as I see it, is determining the difference between a spike
and the start of an upward trend,
which can be just as difficult as picking a bottoming.
Regards
Brian