Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2000

Re: [sharechat] Dividends

From: "Kathy Gruschow" <kathy@nzse.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:52:25 +1200

Don

When a listed company announces a dividend they are required
under NZSE Listing Rules to provide 10 business days notice of a
record date.  From the date of announcement shares are quoted
CD or 'cum dividend'.

This record date, which must be on a Friday or the last business
day of the week, is the date the share registrar determines
entitlements based on registered holders.

Shares are quoted XD or Ex Dividend the day after the record date.

Investors who purchase up until cob on the record date are entitled
to receive the dividend.  If you sell your shares prior to the record
date you are not entitled to receive the dividend.

FASTER (the NZSE's trading/settlement system) operates on the
basis that there has been a change in beneficial ownership at the
point of sale even though the schedule of registered holders may
be different.

If you are not a registered holder but a beneficial owner prior to the
record date, your stockbroker will adjust (in the case of a dividend)
the contract price to reflect the dividend payment and send you a
letter confirming your entitlement (if any) to imputation credits and
the like. (Members of the NZSE anyway)

To determine whether or not you are entitled to a dividend (or
indeed any other benefit like bonus issues, rights issues etc) have
a look at the record date for the dividend and compare with the date
of sale/purchase on your contract note.

Hope this helps.

Kathy