Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2000

Re: [sharechat] AIA

From: Chris <cd@ak.planet.gen.nz>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:12:14 +1200

Nick,

Yes AIA has taken a big lift with a small correction today.  Sure it has
a monstrous monopoly on landing charges and terminal business but the
land bank that it wishes to develop over the next 5 years is not in the
same comfy position.  The industrial vacancy rate around the Airport
fringes (Manukau & Mangere) is high and 100s of hectares are yet to be
developed.

I cannot see them developing the terminal into one of Auckland's largest
malls as management suggests.  The most I buy at the airport is currency,
coffee and a book.  Look at the surrounding neighbourhood too the primary
customer  catchment, low socio-economic Mangere and Papatoetoe.  Yeah the
Warehouse is opening soon but that's the right fit.

With so much future income coming from property AIA should be retagged as
a property/tourism stock. If brokers do so, I think pressure will come on
the price and it may retreat.

Good luck,

Chris

>Anyone looking at AIA recently.  Gone from about 240 (3-4 weeks ago)
>through to yesterdays close of 289.  Only light volume also.  Closed on
>its highs yesterday.
>
>IMHO you can't beat this stock.  Total monopoly.  Rips airlines and
>passengers right off with its taxes and fees.  PAys a reasonable divvy
>also.
>
>That's all for now.
>
>OH yeah....
>
>Q  Mark todd went into a bar in Kings Cross whilst at the Olympics.
>What did he order?
>
>A  A Bum & Coke.
>
>Oops......sorry if I offended anyone.  Just a joke.
>
>Cheers
>
>NK

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] NGH NG