Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2000

RE: [sharechat] Market Depth Peition + STP

From: Peter Hansen <peter.hansen@access-brokerage.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:30:04 +1200

For what it's worth - Access Brokerage is a firm advocate of the open
availability of market depth and we have made our views known to the NZSE
on a number of occasions over the last 18 months.

It is our experience that real time quotes provide insufficient detail for
the purposes of most experienced investors.  In fact, with no indication of
the volume on bid or offer, quotes alone can generate unrealistic
expectations that trades will be completed at the prevailing price.

The fact that most of our internet clients phone us to find out the depth
of the market prior to placing a trade via the net tends to make a mockery
of the present policy (especially given that we provide ASX depth on our
site).

This is our view - we can't speak for other brokers.

Pete Hansen - Access Marketing Manager