Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2000

[sharechat] Flying Piggy

From: ril <ril99_99@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:18:49 +1200

The lead article in the Irish tabloid, The Herald, is missing from the
front page of Sharechat for some reason today: the changes at Flying
Pig.

The profitability or otherwise of these internet companies is of a great
deal of interest to me at the moment and I would like to make some
comments.

A while ago someone emailed me a breakdown (from either the Dom, Sunday
Times or the Irish paper), on the comparatives for book purchases made
on the internet for residents of NZ. Unsurprisingly, the cheapest net
option was Flying Pig; as its warehouse is domiciled here and avoids
international freight on a per item basis.

However, the price at which it delivered was no cheaper than Whitcoulls
on average.

Today it announced it is laying off half its workforce. $4 million
burned to date and the owner commenting that long term he thought that
book sales would eventually work but sales of few other products would.

Now, speaking personally when I buy a book I like to go to a shop and
browse and would only buy on the net for a rare title. Ditto for music.

For travel purchases I would rather go to an agent and chat about
options and personal experiences and get ideas.

What the internet doesn't deliver is what makes us human. Contact. Not
contact through a computer but face to face. When people purchase face
to face there are also subtleties. The attention one receives when
handing over ones money for example. The wrapping of the good. The
people around. The sitting in a cafe afterwards flicking through the
purchase.

I also feel that the above issues apply doubly to perfume and beauty
products.

It is also human nature to hope for a commercial nirvana and such has
been the experience with the internet.

Personally, it leaves me cold.