Re: [sharechat] Ceramco

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 23:42:05 +0000

> I am sure I would pay $2 plus to keep seeing ELLE MCPHERSON in hers
> - but thats just me??

Matthew, you have written that reply partly in jest, but I think you
arean't far from the mark.  The fashion business is about getting the
right look and image and Elle is a bit of a legend, at least in this
part of the world.

But Elle is on the slippery slope.   I remember Elle coming to
Christchurch, must be over 10 years ago when she was around 26.   The
talk then was how long she would stay in the business.  She herself
reckoned she might have another 2-3 years on the catwalk- and now it
is 10 years later!    To put it politely Elle is a lot closer to 40
than 30, old enough to be the mum of some of her target market.   And
what women wants to wear her mother's underwear?

Then there is the Macpherson Men's range.     The Elle calendar still
sells well enough but there will come a time when it will no longer
be cool to wolf whistle a woman old enough to be your mother.

The fact is, Bendon need to plan a succession and quickly.    The
boring old men who it in the boardroom  may not have noticed, but
Elle MacPherson is an old old woman now, maybe the oldest in the
world in the fashion business.   And what has Hugo Venter got up his
sleeve to re-energise the market?    At the moment think Bendon-
think Elle.    How likely is it that in a couple of years when you
think of Bendon the word you associate most with it is 'Sell!'?
SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."