[sharechat] Aging population

From: "malcolm coleman" <malcolmcoleman@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 12:26:50 GMT

An interesting article from Thestreet.co.uk about aging populations.
I am wondering how many retired people in NZ are going to be venturing into
the stockmarket in the coming years in order to furnish sufficient returns
on their meagre capital to survive to their twilight years?
I for one can see myself playing the stockmarket more often than the golf
course when I get to my (what was once called)pensionable age!
The Age Old Dilemma
by Patrick Raggett  2/5/2000 9:39
The elderly are a growing problem. Noone, not even William Hague,  is
calling for death squads working to commission yet. I mean a  problem purely
in the financial sense, as Sunday's Money Programme  on BBC2 illustrated.
The programme was entitled, 'The Age Wave', and it is a tidal one. It
opened in Florida, at some hell called an Active Adult Community -  one of
those euphemisms the Yanks like to use to disguise  impending hysteria.
Peopled by walnut faced aliens wearing gold  slippers, this retirement
colony has its own cable TV company, "to  show what's going on in town,"
explained one Sharon Shrepple, with  no hint of irony. Well, she is
American.
Such was the general level of activity, you got the feeling that a
successful half turn at the tea dance by Sid from Agnes into the arms  of
Gertrude, would make top billing on the cable news station.
In Florida, one in five people are over the age of 65 and, having gone
golfing there and seen nobody capable of lifting a tee peg , I was  frankly
relieved it was only 20%. And if, as the programme  maintained, "Florida is
the future of humanity," then voluntary  euthanasia at 50 will be big as
soon as the latest batch of  lastminute.com (LMC:LSE) surplus seats are
blagged.
The serious point is that, for the first time in human history, the old
will shortly outnumber the young by a substantial margin. This will  have a
seismic effect on retirement ages, pension provision and the  labour market.
The Floridisation of the developed world means that those in the 40- to
50-years-old bracket now, the Baby Boomers, can probably kiss  goodbye to
that allotment on the Isle of Wight at 60 or 65. Instead, it  will be
overtime at the office for another decade or so.
The reason for this is that politicians throughout Europe have been  playing
'pass the pension time bomb parcel', hoping the music won't  stop with them
holding it. But one day, however they bluster, the kitty  will have run dry.
By 2030 - and think how quickly time has past since Gordon Banks  got
diarrhoea in Mexico - 25% of people in the developed world will be  over 65.
The present generation of pensioners are probably going to be  the last to
enjoy active and comfortable retirement.
Already there are examples, as the occasionally chilling programme  showed.
Norman Holland retired at 53 from Lloyds Bank (LLOY:LSE),  but is now back
as a part time machinist. In Italy, the mayor of the  small southern town
Vastiogirardi buses in kids by day to the school.  By night, he visits local
bars threatening bachelors with higher taxes if  they fail to marry and
produce children. "The real risk is that in a few  years we will have to
abandon the place." At 1.2 children per couple,  Italy has the lowest birth
rate in the world - so much for Latin passion.
In the United Kingdom, the dependency ratio, between pensioners and
workers, is 3.5. It will deteriorate to 2.7 by 2050, according to current
projections. In Germany, the figure will be 1.4 and in Italy an  apocalyptic
0.7. Maybe the fact that it is possible to draw a state  pension at 55 in
Italy and no government has the will to do anything  about it has something
to do with the trend there.
But you don't have to be a soothsayer to foresee the potential here for
massive social unrest as the tax burden on the young grows  intolerable and
health expenditure is increasingly weighted in favour of  the ever older.
Pensions entitlements may need to be curtailed. More fundamentally,  a
re-think of what it means to be old will be needed in order to boost  the
labour market. Companies like Asda already blaze the trail. Over  600 of its
workers are over 65 and there is no age discrimination. Hats  off to them.
As septuagenarian employee Marge Woodgate put it, "I didn't think  they'd
have me, but, surprise surprise, they did have me." More power  to you,
Marge. She is exceptional now, but she won't be in the future.