Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2000

Re: [sharechat] eVentures - Must read article in NZ Herald!

From: "Mark Hubbard" <mhubbard@es.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 10:48:03 +1200

From: frank.fernandez <frank.fernandez@xtra.co.nz>

> To all those who have e-mailed me asking for an analytical article on
> eVentures for Stocktake this week, I don't have to do this now as Brian
> Gaynor (in this morning's NZ Herald) has taken the words right out of my
> mouth.

Thanks for that Frank. I had not realised the Telecom and Warehouse tie up.
I'm very disappointed really, Warehouse has been one of the very few good
performers in my NZ portfolio, and I was looking forward to seeing their
plans for moving into Australia  (I'm having an awful time since Christmas,
despite no NZ tech stocks, other than Scott Technology!). Now it seems I've
got to rethink even this stock - I realise that Warehouse's investment in
eVentures is very small in the scheme of things, however, what worries
myself is the 'loss of focus in core activities' which this denotes, and
which has up to now been their strength - scary stuff. If they're prepared
to look at investments of this risk, and in which they have no experience,
does this mean they assess the growth potential of their core activities as
low, or nowhere to go?

If I sell my Warehouse shares, under the current political environment I see
no rational to reinvest in the NZSE, thus, it will be another small amount
of my money joining the flight to ASX.

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.html.