Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2000

RE: [sharechat] Advice on credit+3T-days required

From: Sarah Corkill <Sarah.Corkill@directbroking.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:35:17 +1200

Hi Robert,

When the Exchange suspends a company from trading all trades up to when the
company became suspended still have to be settled.  So the broker you
purchased the shares through still has to pay the broker you purchased the
shares from and they have to deliver the shares.  You still have to pay your
broker for these shares whether or not you are able to sell them.

You were very lucky this time around and your gamble should pay off when the
company starts trading again and investors attempt to ride Mr Watson's wave.
I'm not trying to discourage you from trading but I have seen alot of people
fail miserably when trading T+3 on credit with no ready cash-at-hand if
their foray doesn't pan out.  Often all that is needed is an extra couple of
days for the shares to rebound as you'd originally thought they would.  Had
you been caught say last Monday when  our market lost more than 90 points
you would be sitting on rather a large loss right now which you may or may
not be able to cover either?

I believe that traders are a necessary part of the market to provide depth
and liquidity.  Trading involves good information, cast iron faith in your
selection ability AND CASH! (and of course a great broker)

Robert, use the cash you make on this win to help finance the next so you
(hopefully) won't be caaught in this situation again.

Kind regards,

Sarah Corkill
Direct Broking