Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2000

RE: [sharechat] BDO - Congratulations???

From: "john paine" <painej@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:34:11 PST

Disclosure of interest - have bought shares in BDO.

Following may be of interest.

First, copy of notice sent to NZSE yesterday.

Market Information Services Section
New Zealand Stock Exchange

BeautyDirect Clarification

The Directors of BeautyDirect & Online Limited are concerned that a number
of assertions made in a New Zealand Herald article today (‘Cosmetic giants
shun e-tailer’) and Rod Oram’s comments last night on Newstalk ZB, could be
misleading to the Company’s shareholders.

The Company would like to reiterate the following points:

1. BeautyDirect has strong penetration across a number of brands and the
Directors are confident that over the long term more brands will be
introduced to the BeautyDirect stores. The Directors recognise that
BeautyDirect is introducing a new distribution mix that offers direct and
healthy competition to existing retail distribution networks. The Company’s
current suppliers have indicated they are satisfied that Beauty Direct’s
distribution channels (mix of ‘bricks & mortar’ and an online store) support
their brands appropriately as well as offering customers more convenience.
Certain brands are still evaluating what their Internet strategies will be
so as to ensure it fits with their current brand positioning.

2. All supply contracts disclosed in the prospectus remain in place.

3. To the best of the knowledge of the Company the cosmetic firms referred
to in the article as not supplying BeautyDirect, do not currently supply any
e-tailer anywhere in the world, only retailing businesses.

4. BeautyDirect continues to add new products to its haircare, cosmetics and
perfumes range and will inform the market when materially important
contracts are put in place.  Brands currenty carried by BeautyDirect include
Elizabeth Arden, La Prairie, Christian Dior, Joico, Clarins,  YSL, Calvin
Klein, Hugo Boss, ICE Haircare, Fudge, Freeman Range, Lagerfeld, Bvlgari and
Georgio.

5. BeautyDirect’s market capitalisation is approximately $6.5 million, not
$2.6 million as reported in the article.

6. BeautyDirect is listed on the main board of the New Zealand Stock
Exchange. It was not a New Capital Markets listing.

Second, article obtained from the Internet.

Consumers Showing Interest in Online Health and Beauty Sector

By Michael Pastore
Managing Editor, CyberAtlas
[March 24, 2000] Online beauty product sales accounted for approximately 1
percent of the $25 billion-plus total US beauty market in 1999, but could
gain significant market share in the near term, according to a report by The
NPD Group and Media Metrix.
Why Shop for Beauty Products Online
Instead of Traditional Stores
Shop any time 75%
Delivery of purchases 54%
Ease of comparison shopping 46%
Faster 42%
Avoid sales tax 38%
Find hard-to-find/
exclusive brands 37%
Better prices 31%
Avoid interacting with salespeople 19%
Stores too far away 13%
Source: NPD Online Research

While a relatively small percentage of Internet users reported previously
purchasing beauty products online, nearly two-thirds of those polled said
they would consider doing so in the future.
According to the report, fragrance, makeup, and skin care products accounted
for 2 percent of all health and beauty products online. Fifteen percent of
consumers with Web access have shopped on the Internet for fragrances,
makeup, skin care, bath and body or hair products. Eight percent of these
consumers have purchased a beauty product on the Internet.
Boding well for the future of the industry, NPD’s BeautyTrends® reports that
62 percent of consumers surveyed for the report said they would consider
purchasing beauty products online in the future. Thirty-three percent said
they were very or extremely likely to purchase beauty products online in the
future. Among women only, this number rose to 37 percent.
For consumers of health and beauty products, convenience, not price, is
driving most of these consumers to the Internet for beauty products.
Seventy-five percent of online beauty shoppers cited “shop anytime” as a
reason for choosing the Internet over traditional retail stores for beauty
products to find better prices. Online beauty shoppers value time over
money, and beauty e-tailers are listening: many of the recently launched
beauty e-commerce sites do not offer discounted prices, but they do offer
coupons and other incentives for shopping online, according to the report.
Brand name has also emerged as another important factor in online beauty
purchasing decisions. Sixty-four percent of online beauty purchasers said
they mostly buy products that they have tried before, evidence of how
important replenishment has been to the success of beauty e-commerce sites.
Only 5 percent of purchasers said they mostly buy products they have never
tried. Another 31 percent said “it’s equally fair”-they purchase both
products they have tried before as well as products new to them. NPD
BeautyTrends expects replenishment and brand equity to remain key drivers of
online beauty sales.
Top Beauty E-Commerce Sites
Unique Visitors, Dec. 1999

Total
Persons
All shopping sites 49,735
Sites selling beauty products only
ibeauty.com 759
eve.com 387
avon.com 293
avonorder.com 241
Sites selling some beauty products
mothernature.com 1,843
drugstore.com 1,628
planetrx.com 1,099
more.com 584
ashford.com 528
Source: Media Metrix

Supporting these findings, separate NPD brand analysis determined that brand
names matter more than price to consumers in the fragrance, makeup, and skin
care categories. These shoppers understand the differences between brands,
show loyalty to their favorite brands and will seek out and pay premium
prices for their brands. On the other hand, while bath and body users know
and respect the differences between brands and tend to have favorite brands,
these shoppers try to find their top brands at lower prices.
“Brand equity will take on increased importance in the world of beauty
e-commerce, especially as well-known department stores previously without a
Web presence introduce proprietary Web sites,” said Karyn Schoenbart, NPD
group president for Tracking Services. “Existing pure-play sites, many of
which offer specialty or niche brands, will have their work cut out for them
if they intend to compete with the well-established brands that are heading
to the Web. Those that survive on the Net will be those carrying the key
brands. These could be the big brands but also the ‘hot’ brands. E-tailers
who have secure relationships with the most valuable brands will remain
standing as competition heats up.”
According to Timra Carson, vice president, NPD Beauty Trends, consumers can
expect to see more consolidation among beauty e-tailers as existing sites
scramble to carry the top brands and the proprietary sites of the top brands
begin to steal market share from the specialty brands marketed online.
“We’re also seeing blurred lines between mass and class in the online beauty
market,” Carlson said. “Prestige beauty products traditionally sold only in
department stores are featured next to mass beauty products on some
e-commerce sites. This detracts from the perceived exclusivity of the
prestige brands, one reason some of the top brands have not authorized sales
on pure-play sites that carry several brands.”
The most visited beauty e-commerce sites are those that have existed for a
longer time and have a high level of advertising, according to the report.
Sites that focus on health and beauty are more visited than beauty-only
sites. Health-related sites typically carry mass merchandise beauty brands.
Beauty-only sites tend to carry only prestige or exclusive brands.
More E-Commerce Market Reports from NPD and Media Metrix:
Online Apparel Market
Online Toy Market
Reprinted from CyberAtlas.com