Re: [sharechat] Safeguard future investment while having fun

From: "Richard Hooper" <hoop@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 02:17:08 +1300

----- Original Message -----
From: Osbert Sun
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 2:49 PM
Subject: [sharechat] Safeguard future investment while having fun

Roy,
I'm happily agreeable with your comments that with the current volatility in the equity markets, having a high level of debt to finance share investment is highly dangerous (so is at any other time). I myself have resisted the temptation of using the margin lending facility offered to me some time ago by one of my brokers for a promised leverage. However, I serious doubt that many investors/traders would finance the share purchase on a high ratio of borrowed funds, especially under the current non-performing equity market in NZ. I could be wrong as I don't have any statistics to back my claim. I do believe though that majority people on this forum are responsible investors/traders who practice diversified-portfolio investment approach. Maybe we have spent too much time talking about the likes of SVY, AQL, SPE etc., but it is the uncertainty about the futures of those companies that makes a challenging and fun topic. I have enjoyed a great deal of various comments contributed to this forum, including those of yours. While we all need to cautious in the equity market and to safeguard our investment for the future, we could perhaps also have a little bit of fun by living on the edge in the tiny corner of our investment portfolio.

Regards,
Osbert Sun

couldn't agree with you more Osbert .
my portfolio is getting a hiding at the moment , the only stocks that is making my portfolio stop lookinglike a total disaster are my tech stocks ,however I treat them like the mining stocks of the early 1980 's and the rule ,hold 10% and no more of your portfolio in risk stock... I hope that I am right :>>  My 10% stock is giving me the most enjoyment at the moment , This type of stock always does ,beause they are full of B S  , live on a house of cards , 9 x out of 10 , the cards cave in, however we live by greed on the 10% chance that the firm will succeed .I can name the one's that have succeeded ,however I can not recall 10% of the firms that have'nt. We live in hope that the ones we hold are the ones that succeed We can only remember  the ones that do succeed ,so that must mean 100% success , doesn,t it  :))