Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2000

Re: [sharechat] Re the reference to investing in Funds

From: "Rollo" <debpryor@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:06:32 +1300

Value investing on the Internet
Actually Valueline can be accessed via the internet (it's worth a look but you have to subscribe to see anything other than a demo). The ability to query the database of company information in combination with the Valueline assessments of stocks (updated daily I believe, their value rank is called "Timeliness") is an essential tool for value-based stock selection.

There is a site providing a similar service for Aust stocks: Aspect Equity Review http://www.aspectfinancial.com.au/ to which I subscribe for about A$19 per month (I have no personal interest in it other than as a subscriber).

To the best of my knowledge there is no such equivalent available for NZ stocks. For this reason and because internet trading is now becoming available for ASX stocks I have been progressively migrating my investments to ASX (I just wish I had done it sooner). Also there are sites with free but limited charting available for ASX stocks (& much better ones for American stocks).

As soon as internet trading in American stocks becomes avaliable here I will consider the Nth American market too.

Funds & Index investing
I endorse the comments re using funds, it really depends whether you wnat to spend the time to manage your investments yourself or whether you prefer to pay someone else to do it. However you still should take the time to monitor active fund performance. Index funds can have liquidity problems, and occasionally even trade at a discount or premium. If you just want to stick the paper in a drawer & forget about it then buy Govt stock!

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] day traders tips Kelvin Worsfold