Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2000

Re: [sharechat] Virtual Spectator

From: Jeff Lawton <aircooled65@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 23:58:24 -0800 (PST)

Phil...  In the US the local telcos are now selling
ADSL service at very reasonable rates.  In Oregon,
USWest and GTE are selling broadband access for $29.95
(US) per month plus you ISP costs.  Your connection
speed depends on the distance from the central office.
 With USWest, I had 256 megabit downloads, with GTE I
have 756K.  It's like havin a T-1 and the connection
is constant...you are always online.

At present, about 300,000 homes in the US have the
service, but the demand is huge and the ADSL providers
frankly cannot keep up with the demand.  (I waited 6
weeks to get mine.)

This kind of speed makes using Virtual Spectator
child's play.  I agree...the potential is enrmous, and
I still have to wonder if it is just coincidence that
ITC major investors include the owners of the
Philadelphia Flyers hockey team.

- Jeff

=====
Jeff