Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 1999

Re: [sharechat] Techs vs the Rest

From: "Mark Hubbard" <mhubbard@es.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 13:35:11 +1300

Hi John

Close ended Uk Investment Trusts do not pay capital gains taxes, hence their
use rather than NZ open ended unit trusts (whose tax treatment is lousy,
unless you use the passive ones - but I like active management). As stated
on another post, I myself am a long term value investor, not a share trader,
thus I do not return tax on capital gains from share trades (to any IRD
listening, the Chrome sell off was a one off, and I purchased that share
with the intention to hold long term).

There are two UK technology trusts, Finsbury and Henderson. Finsbury has the
better past performance track record, it also trades closer to its asset
backing (Henderson trades at quite a premium). I actually purchased Finsbury
when it was at a discount to asset value (currently a 5% premium).

If you're interested in UK Investment Trusts, then you must bookmark the
following site:

http://www.trustnet.co.uk/general/default.asp

You'll find the past performances for these trusts on this site (updated
daily).

Regards Mark