Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 1999

Re: [sharechat] Transalta Takeover

From: tennyson@caverock.net.nz
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 20:00:28 +1300

> Just think about the varying incentives.

Yes I had been thinking about those.   Hutt Mana Energy trust is dependent
on continuing to hold onto it's Transalta shares for it's very existance.
So I can't see them selling unless their arm is twisted very hard.  Yet they
must also act in a business like manner so they can't justify their position  on

continuing their own existance alone.
It would be fascinating to see the independent report they commissioned that
they refused to release.

OTOH Transalta (Canada) already has management control of Transalta NZ so
why would they want the rest of the shares?   The NZ dollar is cheap and the
advantages of the combining of the disparate retail businesses has yet to flow
through- so here is a chance to mop upo the remaining shares at a cheap price?

I'm afraid I remain cynical of the motives of both sides, hence my original
question. SNOOPY