Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 1999

[sharechat] Happy99 Virus....

From: "John Redgrave" <jpredgrave@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 00:21:20 PDT

I have copied this from the net incase it helps anyone...  Don't know if it
works becuase I didn't open the happy99 file.  Believe it would because I
trust the source.

http://www.zeuter.com/~tburden/happy99.htm

The Happy99.exe E-Mail Trojan

What It Is and What to Do About It

What is the happy99.exe Trojan?

You may have seen an attachment to some e-mail you have received that is
called happy99.exe. If you were one of the unlucky people that tried to open
this attachment and run it, you may have seen a beautiful fireworks display.
You may have been so impressed that you forwarded the attachment to your
friends. Your e-mail would still be working fine and all your internet
services would seem normal...until the next time you rebooted your computer:
then the trouble would begin. The happy99.exe program contains what is
referred to as a ska trojan, which directs your computer to do certain
sneaky things behind your back. For example, it sends a copy of the
happy99.exe program to all the people you correspond with...entirely without
your knowledge! And that's not all...it can stop your e-mail and internet
services from functioning properly and can even shut down your e-mail
program entirely. Perhaps worst of all, it can be a source of embarrassment
for you at your work or among your friends.

Technically, happy99 is not a virus but a trojan, as it cannot
self-replicate, and requires YOUR HELP to become effective. The program
cannot boot itself and can only run if YOU run it.

Who can catch this 'virus'?

ONLY people running the 32-bit versions of Windows are subject to this
trojan. This is because the program needs to find and overwrite the 32-bit
winsock (wsock32.dll) to do its thing. That means users of Mac, Linux, Unix,
and Windows 3.x are not at risk: only Windows 95/98 users need worry about
it.
Furthermore, only people who actually run the happy99.exe program will
experience any problem. You cannot catch this virus just by receiving
infected e-mail. You HAVE to run the program.

How can I avoid happy99.exe?

As a general precaution, you should NEVER run an .exe attachment to e-mail,
regardless of its source, unless you KNOW EXACTLY what it is and what it
will do. Make sure that the person sending you the e-mail is aware of the
attachment and has told you what it will do. This does not apply to attached
files of other types, such as .jpg or .txt files. You cannot catch a virus
from any other type of file than an .exe file (or a .zip file, if this
contains .exe files :)
Never run the happy99.exe file attachment. Discard the mail as soon as you
receive it, just in case another member of your workgroup or your family
finds the file and tries to run it!

I've seen the fireworks...what do I do now?

Ok, so you've run the program and you've seen the fireworks. Or you've
gotten a nasty e-mail from a colleague or friend informing you that you
infected them with a nasty virus. Don't panic! The fix is actually fairly
simple.

The first thing you need to do is make sure you are infected. This is easy:
just use Windows' handy Find function on the Start menu. Search your hard
drive (usually drive c: make sure c: appears in the Look In box) and search
for ska. If you are infected, the following files will show up:
ska.exe
ska.dll
wsock32.ska
and perhaps
liste.ska
If you have these files, you might be tempted to delete them. DO NOT! The
wsock32.ska file is actually the good version of your wsock32.dll, and the
wsock32.dll on your system is infected with bad instructions.
Basically, we are going to overwrite the bad wsock32.dll with the good
wsock32.ska and then we are going to rename wsock32.ska to wsock32.dll so
that your internet tools can use it again. While we're at it we'll delete
ska.exe and ska.dll. You can try to do this in Windows, but if you are using
Win95 with integrated Explorer, or any version of Win98, you'll find the
computer won't let you mess with the wsock32.dll file. It wouldn't let
happy99 fool with that file either...that's why happy99 had to wait until
you rebooted your computer to do its dirty job. Anyway we are going to have
to do our fixing in MS-DOS mode.
To get into MS-DOS mode, go to Start, Shut Down, then click Restart in
MS-DOS Mode, then hit "yes" or "OK".
Now you should see C:\WINDOWS. You need to type the following commands
EXACTLY as written. Where you see [enter], that means hit the 'enter' or
'return' key.
Type
cd system [enter]
Now you should see C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Type
attrib -h wsock32.dll [enter]
attrib -r wsock32.dll [enter]
copy wsock32.ska wsock32.dll [enter]
Type 'y' for 'yes' when it asks you if you really want to overwrite
wsock32.dll. You really do.
Now type
ren wsock32.ska wsock32.dll [enter]
If the system won't let you do this, type
del wsock32.dll [enter]
ren wsock32.ska wsock32.dll [enter]
Now for the finishing flourish:
del ska.exe [enter]
del ska.dll [enter]
Congratulations...you are trojan-free again.
Now type exit. If the computer does not automatically restart in windows,
restart it manually.
Try sending yourself an e-mail, to test that everything is working. Check
whether you have sent yourself the happy99.exe attachment, while you're at
it. If you did everything right, you didn't.
One last thing. Use Windows Find again to search for liste.ska . When you
find it, double-click on it to open it. You will see a list of all the
people you accidentally sent the happy99.exe attachment to. You might want
to get in touch with them and warn them not to open that attachment. If they
did already, direct them to this page. If they did not, but they are mad at
you anyway, reassure them that you are now clean and safe and that they have
nothing to fear from your e-mail.
These instructions didn't work...now what?

If you have any trouble with these instructions, feel free to e-mail us at
help@zeuter.com...assuming your e-mail still works. Keep in mind that these
instructions are advice only and Zeuter does not accept any responsibility
for any damage or loss that may occur as you carry out these procedures, and
nor does Zeuter explicitly or implicitly guarantee the results of these
procedures.