Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 1999

RE: [sharechat] Fletcher Building

From: "Talacek, Philip " <pjt57@elec.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:16:49 +1200

I feel the current PE ratio is only relevant if it can be used as a reliable
indicator to future earnings.  Building has had a shocking year and if I
remember correctly their latest profit result was about $26m (??).  If one
was to look to previous years their net profits were $134m, $146m, $121m,
and $117m in 98', 97', 96', and 95'.  If one were to use those earnings as
am indication of their future potential profits one would find a PE ratio in
the teens.  Being a share strongly dependent on the domestic economy it
makes no sense to base expectations of future earnings on a year which was
dominated by a recession and for periods of time high interest rates which
reducing the level of building activity.  Should Z show any strong economic
growth in the coming years I would expect FLB to perform very strongly
though I suspect profit from the construction industry probably lag the
general economy by at least six months.  I rate FLB a buy at less than
$2.70.

Philip Talacek