Tuesday 23rd February 2016 |
Text too small? |
Tower, the New Zealand general insurer, says its maximum exposure to Cyclone Winston in Fiji is $7.2 million, but that it will take a number of days to assess the damage.
Twenty-one people are so far believed to have been killed from the impact of Winston, which hit the islands with wind speeds of up to 330 kilometres an hour.
Tower said it has a significant reinsurance programme in place, which provides cover once it has paid out more than $10 million to affected policyholders. However the insurer warned it will be some days before the full financial implications of the cyclone are known, due to the difficulty of accessing the worst hit areas. A further statement to the market will be issued when there is more clarity.
Chief executive Richard Harding said the company's immediate thoughts are with the people of Fiji, and that it's focused on assisting affected customers get their homes and businesses restored and their lives back on track.
Tower shares were recently up 1.4 percent at $4.25. The stock has fallen 16 percent since the beginning of the year.
BusinessDesk.co.nz
No comments yet
POT Financial Results for the year to 30 June 2025
MOVE FY25 Results for the year ended 30 June 2025
BPG - Completion of Retail Offer
Comvita releases results for the year ended 30 June 2025
August 29th Morning Report
Air New Zealand announces 2025 financial result
August 28th Morning Report
VSL - 2025 date of Annual Meeting of shareholders
WIN - Winton announces FY25 Annual Results
Meridian Energy Limited 2025 Full Year Financial Results