|
Monday 20th October 2008 |
Text too small? |
The cooperative is considering selling its 43% stake in San Lu after writing down the value of the investment by almost 70%, or NZ$139 million because of the damage done to the brand by the tainted milk scandal, which killed four Chinese babies.
"Discussions are continuing around a number of facets of San Lu's future," chief executive Andrew Ferrier said in an emailed statement. "These include the possibility of San Lu being acquired by a third party."
China is still investigating how melamine ended up being added to raw milk sold to San Lu. The same chemical was to blame for tainted pet food sold in the US last year and can boost the protein reading of milk which has been diluted to boost returns.
"Any solution involving Fonterra's long-term investment in San Lu or other aspects of the Chinese dairy industry will hinge on us having sufficient influence over key aspects of the dairy supply chain," Ferrier said.
The company last month reiterated that it is committed to the Chinese market.
No comments yet
February 20th Morning Report
SCL - Chief Financial Officer Transition
BLS - Strong YTD performance
CEN announces opening of NZ$75 million Retail Offer
AIA - 1H26 Interim Results
February 19th Morning Report
TWL - Share Purchase Plan Results
GMT revaluation, unit buyback and proposed structure update
Devon Funds Morning Note - 17 February 2026
CEN - Contact successfully completes NZ$450m Placement