Thursday 26th July 2012 |
Text too small? |
Solid Energy, the state-owned coal miner being prepared for partial sale, has suspended underground operations at its Spring Creek Mine after a mineworker was injured on Wednesday.
The Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment's High Hazards Unit has issued the Greymouth-based mine with a prohibition notice following an inspection of the work area and discussions with the mines management and members of the underground workforce.
"Prior to the inspectors' decision the mine's management team had already ceased underground face operations and had began a risk assessment and review of all relevant operating procedures and job safety checklists," Larry Hull, group general manager coal operations said in a statement. "If any changes are needed as a result of those reviews, the underground mining teams and supervisors will take part in refreshed training before work resumes."
The miner is receiving treatment in Christchurch hospital. He was part of team installing roof support in a recently formed underground tunnel area when it is believed a lump of coal fell on the floor and knocked him out.
In February, the Department of Labour issued Spring Creek with a prohibition notice following three separate safety incidents related to system breakdowns in safety controls. The notice was lifted two weeks later after the department said it was happy with the company's response to the incidents.
BusinessDesk.co.nz
No comments yet
POT Financial Results for the year to 30 June 2025
MOVE FY25 Results for the year ended 30 June 2025
BPG - Completion of Retail Offer
Comvita releases results for the year ended 30 June 2025
August 29th Morning Report
Air New Zealand announces 2025 financial result
August 28th Morning Report
VSL - 2025 date of Annual Meeting of shareholders
WIN - Winton announces FY25 Annual Results
Meridian Energy Limited 2025 Full Year Financial Results