Sharechat Logo

Sky Network Television

By Dan Stratful

Tuesday 31st January 2012

Text too small?

Sky Network Television (NZX: SKT ) shareholders enjoyed a 25c special dividend for the year ending 30 June 2011 (FY11) as SKT returned surplus cash to shareholders, and the market continues to expect that this may continue.

SKT has recently signed a joint venture with TVNZ whereby the duo will provide a new pay television service. SKT will hold a 51% stake in the new service while TVNZ will hold the remaining 49% and the new service is expected to be launched in the first half of 2012. 

The JV with TVNZ is likely seen as a long term initiative to make it more difficult for competitors to launch a new service in NZ, however the new service may cannablise SKT’s existing services in the near term, as the new subscription service is thought to be cheaper than SKT’s current packages.

More details on pricing and services will be released in coming months and it may also provide users access to digital technology and Ultra Fast Broadband (UFB).

Despite rising costs in some areas of its business, SKT is benefitting from a strong NZD (particularly against the USD) as most of its programming costs are in USD.

SKT expects a net profit of $120 - $125 million in the year to 30 June 2012 (FY12) compared to $120 million in FY11, and the FY12 forecast is slightly lower than what the market was expecting, as it had expected a profit lift as additional subscribers joined for the Rugby World Cup.

Further special dividends could be paid in FY12, and the announcement of which will provide support for the stock.


Status: GROWTH BUY

SKT’s shares today traded at $5.22

For sharemarket and fixed income trading enquires contact:
Dan Stratful at Investment Research Group (IRG)
Authorised Financial Adviser (AFA)
0800 437 8489, 09 304 0232, dan.stratful@irg.co.nz
**A disclosure statement is available, on request and free of charge.


Disclaimer
In accordance with the Financial Advisers Act 2008 (“the Act”) Sharechat is “Class Advice” and any advice or recommendations contained on this webpage is not “Personalised Advice” as defined by the Act. This means Sharechat does not take into account an investor’s particular financial position, financial needs, financial goals, risk profile or asset allocation. Investor’s who require “Personalised Advice” should contact an Authorised Financial Adviser (AFA).

DISCLAIMER: To the extent that any of the content above constitutes advice, it is general advice that has been prepared without reference to investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on any advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice and IRG recommend that investors should obtain appropriate financial, legal and taxation advice before making any financial investment decision. The report is based on information compiled from public information and private research. IRG have completed the report on a best endeavours basis and do not accept any liability of loss or damage. IRG suggest that clients use this as part of a decision making process and check key data before making any investment decisions.
Employees may have an interest in the securities discussed in this report.



  General Finance Advertising    

Comments from our readers

No comments yet

Add your comment:
Your name:
Your email:
Not displayed to the public
Comment:
Comments to Sharechat go through an approval process. Comments which are defamatory, abusive or in some way deemed inappropriate will not be approved. It is allowable to use some form of non-de-plume for your name, however we recommend real email addresses are used. Comments from free email addresses such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc may not be approved.

Related News:

Sky TV let off on alleged past breaches of competition law
Sky TV board adds Snakk's Handley, ex-SAP exec McBride
Sky Network increases profit, dividend as it battles increased rivalry
TVNZ, Sky TV to wait up to 6 years for Igloo to breakeven, state broadcaster says
UPDATE Murdoch's News Ltd to sell Sky TV stake for $815.3M in discounted placement
Murdoch's News Ltd to exits Sky TV stake in sale reported to be at discount
Sky TV lifts 1H profit 9 percent as subscribers spend more, migrate to My Sky
Sky TV makes $124.5 mln special dividend to distribute tax credits
Todd Communications ends 22-year interest in Sky TV, sells stake
Sky TV content agreements need more investigation, regulator concludes