Sharechat Logo

Week in review

Friday 27th June 2003

Text too small?
AMP will wind down its British NPI life insurance subsidiary, shedding a further 900 jobs. Existing policies will be paid off over time but no new policies will be written. The move is not expected to have a significant effect on earnings or on AMP's value.

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission put "boiler room" share trader Morgan Price into receivership following complaints from New Zealand and US investors and a reference from the Securities Commission. The commission alleges Morgan Price engaged in "unconscionable, misleading, and deceptive conduct."

Richina Pacific blamed the Sars virus and the weather for a profit forecast downgrade, to $3.5 million for the June first half. Poor quality pelts following bad local weather had affected margins in its leather division while Sars had "decimated" visitor numbers at the Blue Zoo aquarium in Beijing.

Provenco Group won a $4.5 million retail automation contract with "one of its international customers." Chairman David Wolfenden said the international environment was improving but the company was still experiencing long lead times for business it was chasing.

Hellaby Holdings may return capital to shareholders after receiving a $9 million income tax refund. The refund will boost June-year reported earnings by $5 million.

Certified Organics' one-for-one rights issue closed undersubscribed but raised $1.2 million. The company will place seven million shares from the pool of unsubscribed rights.

TelstraClear rejected an offer from Telecom to drop appeals and counter-appeals to the Telecommunications Commissioner over interconnection and wholesaling issues. TelstraClear has won hefty cuts in interconnection charges but believes the commissioner's decisions were still too conservative.

As Toll Holdings mailed its 95c a share cash offer to Tranz Rail shareholders, the government released details of the track access charging regime that accompanies its competing bid. Observers immediately lambasted it as giving too little detail.

Brunswick Corporation, a US listed maker of marine engines and outdoor equipment, paid $56.1 million for a 70% stake in Auckland-based global-positioning technology company Navman. Selling shareholders included Emerald Capital and Capricorn Holdings. Management and staff retain the remaining 30%.

  General Finance Advertising    

Comments from our readers

No comments yet

Add your comment:
Your name:
Your email:
Not displayed to the public
Comment:
Comments to Sharechat go through an approval process. Comments which are defamatory, abusive or in some way deemed inappropriate will not be approved. It is allowable to use some form of non-de-plume for your name, however we recommend real email addresses are used. Comments from free email addresses such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc may not be approved.

Related News:

Government package for commercial leases too little, too late
Concerns over Government’s intervention in commercial leases
Development Commitment to Bowen Campus Stage Two
Vista Group International Limited - Update on the impacts of COVID-19
AFT secures Maxigesic IV® distribution in four Western European countries and reports Australasian market share gains in COVID-19 medicines
Investore Property Limited (Investore) today announced its financial results for the twelve months ended 31 March 2020 (FY20).
Rabobank GDT Analysis - Event 261
SkyCity Entertainment Group Limited - Update on COVID-19 Impacts and Recent Trading
ANZ announces sale of UDC Finance
Foley Wines Limited Announces Harvest Result, Earnings Outlook and Development in Martinborough

IRG See IRG research reports