[sharechat] Investment goal to investment strategy

From: Harley <tomhow@paradise.net>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 10:47:12 +1200

Hi Snoopy,

This is an interesting topic, my guess is Mcdunk is right in that most expect
to make money and  lots of it when they buy shares. His 1 in 5 is a dog
depends on how good a stock picker you are and your timing in buying and
maybe selling. It could be  3 or 4  or even 5 turn out to be loss if you buy
at the peak  of the market and sell on the bottom.
PGG is a good example of market fashions,  trading in a narrow band  and then
climbing markedly not because of any change in fundamentals but because it's
parent decided to list on the main board and there's a bit of publicity.
Which says a lot for efficient  market theory. Mcdunks 4 years in the market
shows good timing, whether he maintains his 30% when the inevitable  fall
occurs is another question.

That the market will drop is a certainty, when is the question. All the
signals indicate the US  is way overpriced. when the US falls so does
everybody else.

My goal is not to lose money and my philosophy  is possibly based on the
premise that nobody lost money by taking a profit. If a share is profitable
and the market looks dodgy sell it. In theory  this has cost me a lot of money
over the last 2 years
Contact sold at $4,  Trustpower  at $4  POA  at  $5.6   and so on. But paper
profits don't count. Money in the bank does. My problem now is having the
patience to wait for the downturn because  I see little value in the NZ
market at present.
Still hold GPG  {even the directors are selling} SPN, BRG, & WRI  ( will I
accept ?)  and  a couple of  Aussie  punts.  All except BRG are in profit
and  I  really  should sell but what if I am wrong and there's no downturn?

And there's a couple of companies I  think might be just worth an investment.
Thats why I find shares interesting. There are no certainties.

Harley.