Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2003

Re: Re: [sharechat] Dilution of Shares ----- WRI

From: mixtrader <mixtrader@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 20:18:58 +1300

Hi Statkey

I see what you are getting at, and as a holder of WRI am aware of the implications.

My point really was that these options (which I understand to have been exercised by directors although I haven't yet seen notification of that as yet) would have been approved by the shareholders in the first place (albeit by a majority, which means that the likes of myself really have no say as my shareholding is comparatively insignificant).

When options are offered there are two components, the option price and the exercise price.  As part of the remuneration of directors it has become common practice to include options with a specified exercise price (often below the market value of the shares) - in theory this is supposed to act as incentive to the directors to improve the overall performance of the organisation through their governance.  In situations where options are purchased on the open market this provides cashflow to the issuer when options first offered and sold.

With regard to the company buying back shares to meet their obligations to the option holders, the money to do that would have to come from shareholders equity.  As such, it becomes a bit like the story of the chicken and the egg.

My view is that the share price has not reacted to any great extent on the release of this news (increased a cent today), as such the market does not seem greatly perturbed.  Despite the dilution of each and every holding, the market obviously doesn't agree with your analysis of the loss in equity. Effectively the directors were paid an additional $307K for their services by way of share allotment.  There do exist questions over whether or not this should be shown as an expense to the company (ie tax deductible), it certainly would be if paid as cash bonuses.  The impact of this would be to reduce the apparent profitability of the company and may reduce even further the value put on the shares by the market.

I share your concerns over the practice as demonstrated by WRI.  I don't believe that share options are an appropriate method of remuneration for the governors of the company, it promotes short term thinking (of the type that got their former parent - Fletchers - in the poo) as directors become focused on short term gains that will lift share price rather than long-term strategies that will ensure the company's future viability.  That is of course a totally different argument.

I acknowledge that the reason the Marathon made the announcement was because of the drop in their holding below the 8% threshold.  Probably the greatest impact of the dilution is that the real profit to be distributed to shareholders in the form of dividends is now spread across a greater number of shares, and the voice per share in the form of votes becomes correspondingly less.