Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2003

Re: [sharechat] Dilution of Shares ----- WRI

From: mixtrader <mixtrader@clear.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:00:21 +1300

Hi Terry

Forgive me if my understanding is wrong but I understood that options have two components, the option price and the exercise price.  The exercise price is often the market price at the time the options were offered (less the value attached to the option at issue).  Depending on the type of option it may either be exercised at any time until the expiry date, or may be exercised only on the expiry date.  If it is not exercised by or on expiry date the option lapses and is valueless.  Exercise of the option requires payment of the exercise price.  As such, the extent of dilution is the net difference between exercise price and market value at the time the options were exercised.  Obviously, if market value is below exercise price only a fool would wish to exercise the options.  My understanding is that the number of shares now held is increased and at the same time the total share capital is increased through payment for the exercise of the options.

Options granted/sold should be recorded in the financial statements along with the average option price and the exercise value.  I haven't checked WRI's statements to verify this has occurred here but I have seen it with other companies.  Options are often "granted" to directors and executive management as a form of performance based incentive (which brings with it problems of short term thinking/planning), they must still pay the exercise price to convert these options to shares.  Options are also freely traded on the market and can act as a source of cash inflow to the company through selling options.  If the options aren't exercised the company got the money for nothing.  If they are exercised the shareholders total capital is increased to the extent of the exercise price, and the total number of shares on issue is increased at the same time.

For Marathon's percentage of shares held to have dropped by 0.57% due to the exercise of options suggests that approx 9.25 million options were exercised.  The question I am left with is, how much has the value of Marathon's holding changed in the period between the option holder acquiring the options and subsequently exercising them?  While votes may be diluted I would suggest that market value of their holding has been significantly increased over this period.