Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2003

Re: [sharechat] aus.invest

From: Stephen Judd <sljudd@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:47:43 +1300

On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 22:35, tennyson@caverock.net.nz wrote:
> Hi winner69 and ryannite
>

> >Think snoopy was referring to this
> >
> >http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
> 8&group=aus.invest
> >

> Yes, although this is the 'web interface' way to view it.    Most ISPs
> have a 'news server' which hosts these discussion groups.   I'm not
> really sure why it is called a news server.

Back in the day, before the web, when I were a lad and New Zealand's
total internet connection to the rest of the world was a 14k4 modem,
there was news, aka USENET. Generally it did comprise news, albeit of a
techie/computer science sort. "news" is a historical term.

For some years I used the University of Waikato's VAX/VMS system for
email and USENET - and that was the internet! And nobody understood what
I was talking about, either.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2001/12/21/usenet.html

> I believe that many of the e-mail programs out there have 'adjuncts'
> that deal specifically with newsgroups.   However, there are several
> dedicated newsgroup/discussion group programs out there as well.
> The one I use is something called 'Free Agent', which as the name
> implies is free, and I find it works very well.  However, there are others
> no doubt equally as good out there.

Mozilla and Outlook Express both provide news reading capability,
although they are not as good as special purpose news readers.

In principle we could set up nz.invest if we wanted. It wouldn't be
hard, but I can't see the point.

Stephen