Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2003

Re: Re: [sharechat] Gold Glistens in the Dark Clouds

From: "Allan Potts" <ajp7079@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:27:30 -0500 (EST)

Rodney,

In answer to you query, I've had a brokerage account and a bank account in NZ
for quite a number of years.  Over the past several months I've added a
sizeable amount to the account. (quadrupling it's size)  This money is invested
in NZ and Aussie shares, some for yield, some for growh and some for
speculation, ie gold shares, but all for protection against a declining US
dollar.  This money will stay in NZ as long as the picture looks good vis a vie
the strength of the Kiwi/Auissie dollar and the outlook for the share markets.
If it gets gloomy I would repatriate a portion of it, but will always maintain
an account in NZ.  I also withdraw some of this money and spend it when we
visit New Zealand.

As to the currencies.  I don't trade the forex.  I did those type of things in
my youth, but now am much more conservative.  Everbank -- everbank.com has a
number of CD's denominated in various currencies.  I currently hold a sizeable
one in what they call the commodity currency indes CD.  It is invested 25% each
in the Aussie, Kiwi and Canadien dollars and the South African Rand.  Current
interest rate is 4.35% for a three month CD which is about 4% higher than you
can get in the US, but the real kicker is the movement up in these curencies
against the US dollar.  Principal value has increased 2.62% in the past 35 days
plus the interest return.  Certainly forex trades would have  produced much
more profit, but this is money I need to husband and not gamble with, ergo this
vehicle is excellent for protecting against a declining US dollar.

I will continue rolling over this CD three months at a time, until the value of
our dollar stops falling and our interest rates rise.

Hope this answers your questions, at least it gives you an idea of what one
person is doing to protect the fruits of many years of hard work against the
possible decimation of it's purchasing power.

Cheers,

Allan