Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2003

[sharechat] Marilyn slinks into Lyttelton Port Co AGM

From: Marilyn Munroe <who.c@res.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 01:54:50 +1300

Yo Snoopy, I didn't recognise you there. As we disguise our identities we were
ships which passed in the night.

Some comments;

The current directors seem to blase about the cost overruns with the coal
Layton would have been as relaxed about the issue as the current directors.

I am also concerned about the skills of some of the directors. Several of them
have sat at the boardroom tables of companies where the results could be
charitably described as mixed.

Nautical scuttlebut;

While quaffing refreshments at the after match function an informed source, not
part of LPC, gave me the drum on P & O's flouncing off to Port Chalmers with
its large boat container service.

Seems P & 0 have lost market share. They are having trouble achieving full
northbound loadings. Schedules have been slipping. The colonials have also
sprung a nasty suprise (not) with higher than world average density of
container loadings. Seems we load containers with heavy stuff like butter,
cheese, dumped wool and frozen meat. The new ships are designed to just squeeze
through the Panama Canal. All the heavy Kiwi cargo causes the ship to bend in
the middle like a banana and so the ships are having trouble passing through
the locks.

Boop-boop-de-do Marilyn

PS At next years meeting i will wear some of my friends (diamonds are a girls
best ...) so that you can recognise me Snoopy.