Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2003

[sharechat] Re: TA/FA

From: nickk@quicksilver.net.nz
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:23:50 +1300

Greg

That argument has been run before.

What you are essentially saying  is that the 'chartists' are bigger than,
and are beating, the market.

Sometimes, when stocks break out of downtrends it is because of
announcements which in turn can cause institutional buying (VCR:ASX a case
in point).  That institutional buying can cause big upswings, quickly.

Your self fulfilling prophecy would mean that every 'chartist' is tuned into
the same stock waiting for the same trendline break.  The truth is that
many 'chartists' watch many sectors: FX, Options, Futures, Stocks, etc.  It
is not feasible to say that because WHS (for example) has broken out of a
downtrend then the 'chartists' are responsible for its pre-emptive uptrend.
Most will be watching other stocks; might have no money; might decide that
retailing isn't for them (notwithstanding what Woody says about not caring
about the stock - a valid point); etc.

A group of chartists together cannot impact on trends.  If I am wrong I am
sure Woody or Snoopy will let me know.
Cheers

Nk