Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2003

[sharechat] -42c IPO

From: C Darby <cd@pl.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:41:06 +1300

Ditto to Marilyn's comments

Wilson's whiskey out of Dunedin was 'cleverly' marketed too. 45 South and
Wilson's were the two brands. Rough as guts and hardly a worry for the
crudest of Scottish distilleries. Plonk was probably the best descriptive.

Strange how Dorchester Pacific keeps making security announcements to the
NZX re 42 Below. I wouldn't have thought it integral to their business to
warrant half a dozen announcements in two months. Stacking the board with a
seamstress (Walker) and a sailor (Dalton) is all part of a company
overloaded with marketing hype.

What I would want to know is the results of a few independent taste tests
with some hardened Vodka drinkers. How does it measure up alongside Stoly
and Russian Standard? Does it go down well or is it Kiwi potato brew that
comes up soon after going down? Is it made from melted ice (as are the best
Russian vodkas) and free of additives and flavourings? Or is it like the
whiskey 45 South with its flavoursome McKenzie Country gravel taste in lieu
of the highland peats of Scotland.

I admire the marketing machine behind 42 Below but will this product pass
over the lips of experienced vodka drinkers a second time in a product
market littered with also rans full of equally good ideas marketed with
comparable craft but rejected by the brutal consumer.

I just cannot see half a dollar of value in this IPO but would be delighted
to be proved wrong.

Charlie