Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2003

RE: [sharechat] Portfolio Theory

From: "Graeme & Paula Richardson" <chemist@actrix.gen.nz>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:08:23 +1200

Title: Message
Thought I'd throw our portfolio criteria into the pit:

Working with our accountant and our share broker we select our shares based on the following crtrieria:
  • No one share is greater than 10% of portfolio value at the time of purchase
  • Shares purchased are for New Zealand  companies whose net profit after taxation over opening equity is greater that 20% Preferably for three or more years. Its my money I'm giving the company so I want to make sure they use it wisely. (We dont invest in companies who promise high returns at some future time while returning losses year on year at present)
  • Net portfolio dividend yield is in excess of 5%
  • We buy for the long term reinvesting the dividends to increase our portfolio.
We do not work sectors, or chase IPO's. Rather we invest in proven performers (quality companies)

Our portfolio includes:

CAV, DTL, HLG, HBY, SKC, TEL, WHS, LPC, FPH, FBU

Cheers

Graeme