Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2003

[sharechat] RBD vs XXX, a comparison

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:01:37 +1200

OK this is the last thread I intend to start on RBD for a while, but I think
the comparison between RBD and a mystery company that I shall
identify only as XXX makes interesting reading:

1a/  RBD is one of the top three players in its chosen market in New
Zealand.
1b/  XXX is one of the top three players in its chosen market in New
Zealand.

2a/  RBD has three general 'sub categories of business' that go to
make up its business model.
2b/  XXX has three general 'sub categories of business' that go to
make up its business model.

3a/ RBD is expanding into Australia but, so far, is having trouble
making it pay
3b/ XXX is expanding into Australia but, so far, is having trouble
making it pay

4a/ RBD has few large capital requirements going forwards.
Expansion can be piecewise as and where funds allow.
4b/  XXX has large capital expenditure requirements going forwards

5a/ Debt position of RBD.   If all profits are pushed into paying back
long term debt it will be paid back in:

$30.377m/$11.014m= 2.75years

5b/ Debt position of XXX.   If all profits are pushed into paying back
long term debt it will be paid back in:

$4,459m/$704m= 6.33 years

6a/  RBD Yield is 12% (imputed)

6b/ XXX yield is 5.8%(imputed).  The share price of XXX would have to
drop back to $2.50 to give the same yield as RBD

7a/  RBD have just lost their chief executive.

7b/  XXX have just lost their chief executive.   Oops that is a little
premature.   She hasn't been given her marching orders quite yet.
( Hell, I hope I haven't given the game away here ;-) )

I put it to you.    Which is the better income investment here?   By my
reckoning it is RBD by a factor of two.    Yet there appear to be some
out there who don't think RBD is cheap enough to buy into yet?

Hmmmmm

SNOOPY

discl: hold RBD (and XXX!)

--