Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2003

Re: [sharechat] warren buffet

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 00:48:05 +1200

Hi Tony,

> Anyone got Buffettology workbook, or other useful buffet books
>  to sell me?

Yes I have the 'Buffettology Workbook', by Mary Buffett and
David Clark published in 2001  (ISBN 0-684-87171-8)
and no you can't have it ;-).

'Buffettology Workbook' covers similar ground to 'Buffettology' but in
shorter snappier chapters concentrating on core points.   I think when
Gerry drew up the recommended reading list for the 'Learning to
Invest' series right here on 'Sharechat', that the 'Buffettology
Workbook'  was favoured over the other Buffettology books.

Since that list was printed, another book "The New Buffettology", also by
Mary Buffett has hit the bookstands, at least in the US.  I haven't seen
 this book 'in the paper' but if any sharechat readers have read it I
would be interested in your views.

Perhaps most comprehensive and usful of all  might be the book
written for the Australian market around Buffettology principles.    The
book is:

"A Wonderful Company at a Fair Price" by Brian McNiven
ISBN 0-7016-3655-6.  This book has been pre-publication
reviewed by Buffett himself!

This book was published in 2002 by 'Wrightbooks'.    Inexplicably
 I haven't seen McNiven's book in any New Zealand bookshop.
 So maybe there is an opportunity for the 'sharechat' sister site
 'goodreturns' to get some of these books and start distributing
 them here?

I have a library copy I am looking at right now, and McNiven's
certainly has a good swipe at a few Australian sacred cows!

On balance I would say 'Buffettology Workbook' is still number one
for an introduction to the general idea of investing like Warren Buffett.
'Buffettology Workbook'  is easier to read straight off, highlighting
basic principles and doesn't get bogged down in any mathematics
until the second half.   Nevertheless it is worth ploughing through
the mathematics in 'BW' as you do need to understand that if you
 want to be able to value a company like Buffett does.

 By contrast McNiven throws you in at the deep end and assumes
quite a good knowledge of accounting buzzwords.    But this is
no criticism of McNiven's book, just a statement that it is a little
more advanced and goes into more detail.

I would recommend buying both books.   If you read and
understand the 'Buffettology Workbook' (and ignore the bit
in the second half of the book where they say you need a special
calculator -  any financial calculator will do),  then you will find
tackling McNiven's book is easy, and worthwhile!

HTH

SNOOPY

 --
Message sent by Snoopy